What’s all this about PYE?

Home Forums Technical discussion What’s all this about PYE?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

PYE was originally a British company founded in 1896 who designed and manufactured both professional and consumer electronic items. They became very successful during the second world war designing and manufacturing a complete range of radio transceivers for the allied forces. After merging with EKCO and under the control of Philips in the 60s and 70s they were successful with broadcasting equipment particularly with a unique type of compressor which became popular with the BBC, this was the type 4060. Towards the end of the 70s the company ran into difficulties and stopped trading. In 2021 at about the time I rejoined Alice as a director, we bought the rights to the logo and trademark of PYE and decided to use the name on our new stereo compressor/limiter, calling it the PYE 4061S in deference to the original BBC 4060 compressor which was such a unique design.
    PYE is now a registered name and trademark of Alice Ltd.

Miscend
    Participant

Hey Ted! That’s some fascinating history about PYE. I love learning about the origins of companies and how their products have evolved over time.

It’s really cool that your company, Alice Ltd., has acquired the rights to the PYE logo and trademark. Reviving a brand with such a rich history and using it on your new stereo compressor/limiter, the PYE 4061S, sounds like a great idea. It’s a nice nod to the original BBC 4060 compressor, which clearly made a significant impact in the industry.

I’m curious to know more about the PYE 4061S. What sets it apart from other compressors/limiters on the market? Are there any unique features or design elements that make it stand out?

Looking forward to hearing more about your company and any other exciting projects you have in the works!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.