VC-1 help

Home Forums Ask Ted VC-1 help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dbx160
    Participant

Hi Ted,
    I have a JM VC1 (with enhancer section), I am getting a high pitched whine from it that get’s louder when the Phantom is engaged, it also get’s louder when as you are turning up the output pot.
    Any ideas on how I can fix this?
    maybe I need to replace the resistors?
    I am located in Canada.
    Thank you for your time….Myke

dbx160
    Participant

Anyone? :? :?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

This could be a sad case…… This sounds like an early VC1 that used a strange chip in the enhancer…. I have known of the problem and was only able to fix it by exchanging chips…. but this is a surface-mount chip and it’s not easy, and they are no longer available!
    I never like to give up on old gear, but in this case I have to suggest that the green bin outside the back door might be the place for it. 😥
    Ted

dbx160
    Participant

REALLY 😮
    Ted, could you give me the name/model of the chip needing replacing and the name/model of the preferred exchanged chip?
    Thanks for replying.
    Myke

dbx160
    Participant

Is there a way I could mod it to bypass that enhancer?
    Myke

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Bit of a strange one….. there`s nothing in a VC1 that can cause a whine except maybe something wrong in the enhancer circuit.
    In any case it`s not something that could be fixed locally. If it`s a really treasured mic amp, then please send it back to me at the Sound House and I will have a look at it and most likely fix it (can`t guarantee on very old gear).
    As a service, I charge just 25UK pounds plus the cost of returning the unit…. in the case of a VC1 these are quite light so 6 UK pounds should cover it.
    If you do send it to me, dont forget to mark it clearly ‘equipment for repair` and enclose a note with the return address! :?

dbx160
    Participant

Deal,
    I just need to find your address.
    thanks…Myke

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

It`s……
    TFPRO
    The Sound House,
    Hunsdon Road,
    Torquay
    TQ1 1QB
    UK

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.