Sc2 v1.07 rear output knob V1

Home Forums Ask Ted Sc2 v1.07 rear output knob V1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    supafuzz
    Participant

Thanks Ted…that gives us another avenue to explore.

I’ll keep you posted!

supafuzz
    Participant

HI Ted

would you be kind enough to send a flow chart and schematic to my e-mail?

we dont think it’s the leds or cell and want to check the chips out next.

We want to swap the left and right chips to see if the problem follows. And it is a 9db difference when compressing

only. signal passes evenly when it’s bypassed

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I will send the circuit information direct to your email.

supafuzz
    Participant

Thanks!

supafuzz
    Participant

We replaced most of the chips and the problem persists. It may be one of the light sensors

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I pointed out in my posting yesterday that if the compressor is working at all, then the problem is the gain cells, there is no point in changing chips.. The type of gain cell is ORP12 and these are available in the US or from me.

supafuzz
    Participant

Yes you did point that out. We were just in a chip changing kind of mood I guess!

supafuzz
    Participant

ok I’ll take a pair please..how do we proceed?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

OK, will email.

supafuzz
    Participant

Ok we installed the light sensors and we still have exactly the same issue..a 9 db difference in channels.

So we tried everything we could think of and now..I guess I have to send it to England.

Please advise

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I’m sorry that you still have the problem….. it’s such a pain to have to send it over to me….. But I’m very happy to fix it if it is still broken.

Just send it to me at The Sound House, Hunsdon Road, Torquay TQ1 1QB, UK.

Make sure to mark it as equipment returned to manufacturer for servicing (not strictly accurate, but who cares!) And put a low value on it to avoid any possible problems with customs.

I will be in touch by email :(

supafuzz
    Participant

Ok thanks..I’ve run out of options here….Please e-mail me I have another question.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

To other readers of the forum….. I will post the results of this one once I have looked at the SC2.

supafuzz
    Participant

Hi Ted I need to talk you you in a private message

thanks

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Just a note of caution about the early SC2 compressors….. The LDRs (Light Dependent Resistors) used to produce the compression do have delicate termination wires and can break. The cells can also deteriorate eventually (although I’m using some that have been in service for nearly 50 years… so they are not that bad!)

The electronics in these compressors is quite basic and rugged and the most likely cause of any defect is the gain cells (LDRs)

L/R gain differences are often noted and these are caused generally by inequalities in the tracks on the gain controls, usually the input gain control. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.