SC2.2 V4 Dark mode

Home Forums Ask Ted SC2.2 V4 Dark mode

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stringmen
    Participant

Hi Ted,

Hope you are well ?

i have a C2 which i love. The sound is maybe dark but in a really good way. I noticed the SC2.2 V4 has a dark switch. Would this dark mode be comparable to the C2 or is the C2 like the normal ( non dark ) mode please ?

Many thanks,

Peter

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

The story behind ‘dark’ is that I was searching for the subtle sounds that compressors are capable of back when we were making the SC2 and I found that by altering the timing shape of the release, the sound became somehow ‘darker’, so I put a switch in to switch from the original SC2 to the slightly darker sound.

The C2 is definitely the most under-rated equipment ever! It’s a superb compressor using the same opto devices as the original SC2 so it has the same sound as the best of the SC2s, the release circuit is not quite the same as the SC2V4 but quite honestly there is no difference in performance, it still has the ‘dark’ sound that makes these compressors unique. :)

stringmen
    Participant

Many years ago when i starting recording digitally i tried VCA compressors ( digital and analogue ) and was never happy with the sound compared to the pro tape recordings i’d had done for me previously. Then i discovered your magic VC-1 and thought, man if i could get that sort of sound in stereo… I put the C2 on the mix bus and found that i got the same sort of smooth vintage opto compression AND the tape sound, plus amazing effects on drums and mixes at more extreme settings. It was a revelation to me for DAW non tape recording. Sadly i took ill just after this so had to retire very early.

I don’t understand why this form of effect compression didn’t become the standard for DAW use. Maybe some judged it by its modest price instead of using their ears !. Many people don’t have the opportunity to do pro tape recordings now, and get used to the flat, spiky sound of digital interfaces. The C2 is a classic small, efficient design, easy to use and works great with other gear due to high headroom and proper input and output dials ( fully adjustable to off ). i think it would be a real shame if it isn’t available for the next generation in TFpro form. It was amazing value and put professional results into working musicians hands.

Thanks Ted.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that you had to retire….. I have tried that a couple of times but it doesn’t seem to work!

My calendar tells me I’m 80 but I refuse to believe any of it.

I think the reason that the C2 was never popular is that to get a compressor like that in a little 1/2 rack 1U box is daft…. it looks too cheap.

I would love to bring it back…. I actually have a large stock of the correct opto devices which are now not obtainable; but who will buy it? And the cost of producing a little unit like that in the UK is outrageous….. I suppose I could have it made in China, where we have our Orbitsound loudspeaker electronics made, they are very good. I must think about it. Right now I’m concentrating on updating the website and getting the BRICK2 out the door; that has been an exciting time getting it made here in the UK. :D

stringmen
    Participant

Well keep on doing what you are great at doing Ted !

Thats a shame those opto’s aren’t made any more :( . Nothing’s ever simple is it !

I love the way all your units look. The C2 is perfect size to me as doesn’t take much space, but i understand what you’re saying.

I wish you all the best success with your new BRICK2. It looks fabulous and I bet it sounds awesome :)

Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.