SC2.2 high crosstalk between channels

Home Forums Ask Ted SC2.2 high crosstalk between channels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jtvrdy
    Participant

I have SC2.2 where the signal from one channel (R) is leaking to the other channel (L)

The signal in one channel appears on the another 12dB lower and in inverted polarity…

It is possible to adjust this crosstalk to minimum?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

This is a problem of no consequence at all….. In any M/S system there are tiny errors in levels between L and R due to small differences in the actual values of resistors and particularly in the accuracy of pots. If your unit has a ‘width’ control, then altering the width will allow you to correct for any error in the M/S matrix. Some of the early compressors did not have a width control and the ‘difference’ channel was adjusted to give either exact L/R or sometimes a slight bias towards extending the width of the image…. which is exactly what you describe.

If you demand a total lack of ‘crosstalk’, then frankly you have got the wrong equipment. All I can advise is to listen to the result of what you have, if it’s not what you need then sell the equipment and buy something that is scientifically more accurate…. but will it sound any good?

I’m sorry to be astringent, but I don’t see a problem here. 🙄

jtvrdy
    Participant

I understand that a little of crosstalk is normal, the other day I was compressing bass in one channel but also feeding a kick on the other channel to make the bass pumping it sounds great but discovered that the kick is leaking into the bass (only 10-12dB lower)

could you indicate which resistors to look and check if they are correct?

thanks.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I’m surprised that the crosstalk at LF is as high as that. I can’t be specific about resistors, the problem is always errors on the input gain pot. The problem is that the tracks are never quite the same so if there is minimal crosstalk at one position of the pot, if you move the pot just a little then the crosstalk could be very much worse. There is also a problem of mechanical ‘backlash’; moving the pot a tiny amount could move the slider on one of the tracks but there might be some sloppiness so that the movement of the other wiper is not quite the same….. same effect, poor crosstalk performance. I always advise against running completely different signals on the two sides. The only real answer is to change the input gain pot; but new ones are generally just as bad! 😥

jtvrdy
    Participant

you are right only just touching a little the input pot the crostalk change… maybe I can replace the pot with a rotary switch and resistors

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

If you really need to!

BTW, it’s not really ‘crosstalk’ between channels, it’s a function of the M/S system. In an earlier response on this thread I suggested that if you need a stereo system that is devoid of ‘crosstalk’ (which it isn’t really; it’s variations of the level of the difference signal) then this is not the right equipment for you. :(

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.