Sc 2 Rev. 1.07 Meter Not Moving

Home Forums Ask Ted Sc 2 Rev. 1.07 Meter Not Moving

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Spock
    Participant

Greetings. I am a novice audio hobbyist with limited working knowledge of this box or it’s component terminology so pardon me if I’m a little vague in my description of the problem. The vu meter is pegged just after 0 on the dB scale in the slope 1 position with nothing connected to in’s or out’s. As I dial up through the slope selections, the needle moves slightly to the left (neg.) after each click, winding up @ -.5 in the slope 4 position. This is the only way I can get the needle to move. When anything is feeding into the input’s, the needle doesn’t register it. It just stays pegged within the >0 to -.5 range. Now, as far as the sound goes, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to sound like because this is the first Meek I’ve ever worked with. I’ve read the owner’s manual for possible solutions but none of the troubleshooting topics dealt with malfunctioning meters. I hope this is a relatively easy fix as I don’t have a workshop in my home, or even a decent soldering station, for that matter… and I can’t afford any expensive bench time, either. Most reputable repair shops in my area will charge around $80 USD per hour. Any tips on where to start will be well received and much appreciated.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

The meter is working absolutely correctly…… on these compressors, the meter reads gain reduction, not audio level. This is quite normal.

I suggest using the compressor on the top ‘slope’ setting (I think it’s 4 on that model), feed in some signal material and turn the compression control up and the meter will start to move downwards…. and you will hear it compressing the sound.

It’s all about how it sounds, the JoeMeek compressor is really good at making sounds more ‘punchy’. :)

Mr. Spock
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.