Radio Tees 1975

Home Forums Ask Ted Radio Tees 1975

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tes257
    Participant

hi Ted,

thought you might be interested in these??? Some slides I’ve found of Radio Tees getting kitted out in 1975

Is it the STM-8?? I assume this desk(s) have long since gone. I would love one for archive purposes! Which other stations got them please?? and does anyone know if there is one still out there please?

Tes257
    Participant

Here it is being taken out too!

Tes257
    Participant

and one more of it being wired!

Does anyone have one please?

Thanks

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I put those in myself!!!

Those desks were Alice ACM2 desks, designed specifically for local radio and fitted at Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Wolverhampton, Swansea and later in some BBC local stations.

The STM8 was a smaller less expensive desk similar to the 828S…. and I still use one of those as my mastering/monitoring mixer! :D

Tes257
    Participant

Do you know if there is one still in existence anywhere, ted?

davethepipe
    Participant

I have just read this blog for the first time today. I have owned an Alice STM8 since 1979. Although I have made some minor modifications, it is more or less as supplied. I also have the original maintenance book with schematic diagrams. At the time I was building my first serious home studio and this was the only proper desk I could afford. I used to use it at home to prepare material during my days at BBC Radio Stoke. For many years it was used with Sonifex micro hs cart machines,Revox pr 99s and Russco studio pro turntables (later replaced with Technics sp 10s).

I dug out the mixer yesterday and sprayed the pots with switch cleaner and it is more or less as new. It is powered up as I speak. It has phantom power on the mic channels (something which the expensive BBC Mk3 desks at the station didn’t have!) It did duty several times hired out as an emergency OB desk for BBC local radio when they were short of gear!

Regards,

Dave.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Dave!

There are not that many Alice STM8 mixers around! In hindsight we did the right thing by keeping everything simple….. I know this works because in my own Orbitsound acoustics lab (posh name for the basement at the Sound House), I still have an old 828S mixer used as a monitor mixer driving my strange loudspeakers. I occasionally run the analysers over it and the performance is still easily to broadcast standards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.