Joemeek C2 mod and Tfpro P38V8 Legacy availability

Home Forums Ask Ted Joemeek C2 mod and Tfpro P38V8 Legacy availability

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    archdake
    Participant

Hello!

Just got a used Joemeek C2. Do you think it’s easy/worthwhile to add a sidechain I/O to this? I remember you stating that it’s essentially an SC2.2 in a half rack form.

I was sorry to read that it’s the end of the line for Tfpro equipement – I guess you deserve a retirement at some point! The SHOP section of the website hasn’t been updated for a while – does this mean there’s nothing left in stock?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

It would be possible, but do you think it’s worth it?

The sidechain already has a very carefully worked out filter arrangement so that the compression is smooth and musical; I have designed in sidechain access on the P38EX, but I have to admit that I’ve never felt the need to use it! It’s true that the C2 is precisely an SC2.2 in a very small box.

Yes, I have slowed right down now…. the loudspeaker business is taking a lot of time…. and after all I have been in the business since the early 60s!

archdake
    Participant

Thanks Ted, appreciate the input!

archdake
    Participant

Btw, is it possible to have the C2 moded with a “dark” switch, like later SC2.2s or a variable slope control?

I’m not trying to make the C2 into something it’s not, just a thought since it’s essentially an sc2.2… :)

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Actually that’s very difficult! The ‘dark’ switch is an additional network in the compressor release path that alters the ‘shape’ of the compression release. It was a studio engineer in California who told me how a particular prototype compressor of mine sounded ‘dark’….. so I incorporated that compression release circuit into the SC2.2, but because the C2 is so compact, it would be extremely difficult to make the necessary mods. :(

archdake
    Participant

Ok, one more question regarding transformers. If I’m not mistaken the last versions of the stereo compressor [SC2.2] did not have any. Do you think it will be beneficial if I patch in some 1:1 transformers before the C2 input stage? I have some in a box with XLR connectors so I can patch them in a few key places…

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Sorry to put a damper on ideas…. adding transformers external to say the C2 is not really a good idea, it will not achieve anything.

The way I use transformers in TFPRO equipment is that they are an integral part of the input stage and work in a very unusual way; they operate in ‘current mode’ so that there is no voltage generated across the windings at all. It’s a quirk of physics that if there is no voltage across the coils then there can be no distortion and virtually no losses of any sort, so we end up with a perfectly isolated input that is flat in response, no distortion and will work at any volume level. A conventional transformer runs out of linearity at low frequencies and has severe limitations unless you use very good ones like the ones made by Lars Lundahl.

My system has some disadvantages…. it is very sensitive to magnetic interference, but that’s a small price to pay for such quality advantages.

So in short, no. The input stage of the C2 is already an accurately balanced design that won’t be improved in any way by transformer coupling.

:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.