Joe Meek MQ1 PSU

Home Forums Ask Ted Joe Meek MQ1 PSU

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trialsin808
    Participant

Hello can anyone help me with a low noise PSU for this unit please? I have tried earthing within the computer but there is still a noise coming through. I have bought a 12v psu with molex adapter thats noisy too! (worse)

Does anyone have any success in operating this unit with low noise gain?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Sorry, can’t help with this one except to say that the ‘fault’ is usually a grounding problem, but it depends very much on how it’s used.

trialsin808
    Participant

After several years buried in a pile of bits I eventually ended up putting MQ1 inside my new computer build. when correctly grounded this unit sounds lush on my bass guitar I love it!

still working on an external psu im thinking of trying a meek 12v AC and making it fit the molex

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

CAUTION!! 😯 The MQ1, unlike other JoeMeek units, is designed to work from 12VDC….. NOTE DC! If you connect 12VAC you will damage it!

But nice to hear that you can appreciate the sound! :)

trialsin808
    Participant

Wow that was close!

priceless advice thank you for this. 12V DC ill try instead

Thank you again :)

trialsin808
    Participant

Thanks for making sure I didnt blow up my tf piece! I have spent the whole day trying it out on different sources but when I turned the speaker monitor volume up I hear some distortion, seemingly fixed in pitch that does not go away when lowering gains. Also seems to get louder with gain increase.

I was wondering if replacing the 24 capacitors with same value equivalents might fix this?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Very unlikely…. If the noise is high pitched and gritty it will be interference from the computer power supply, possibly some grounding problem. In any case noises like that are normally associated with power supply.

If you can email me an mp3 file of the noise I might be able to deduce the cause. No promises! 😥

trialsin808
    Participant

Thanks Ted I really do appreciate you looking into this! I have emailed you a sample :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.