Hooters B1

Home Forums Ask Ted Hooters B1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    boriscrispin
    Participant

Hi Ted

Hope you’re well. I have just gold hold of a B1 and am looking forward to using it. It has shipped without a power supply, but I assume I would be ok with an off the shelf 12v AC supply?

Also, it’s in my nature to wonder if there are any thoughts you might have with hindsight to improve or upgrade the design? Not that it won’t perform well as you had planned it.

Cheers

Alex

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Yes, a standard 12VAC supply is all you need, the current requirement is low so anything greater than 250 milliamps will be OK.

The B1 was a quirky but very good wide ranging mic-amp/compressor. I have just had a look at the original circuit from 1998 and it looks good to me from the perspective of 2018! :)

boriscrispin
    Participant

Thanks Ted – one more thing I might pose is the idea of transformer balancing the output? Any suggestions on that?

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Why??? 😯

The B1 output is a low impedance unbalanced feed, with 470 ohm buffer resistors. Its performance is excellent unless you want to drive audio feeds more than about 50 yards. Seriously, there is no advantage to using a transformer on the output unless you want the additional distortion created by the transformer. :)

boriscrispin
    Participant

Haha!

Well I’m certain that the quality is high no doubt. Just in terms of interfacing with other balanced inputs and the like. And perhaps one does like a bit of transformer distortion! :D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.