Found a brand new C2

Home Forums Ask Ted Found a brand new C2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fredrikberg
    Participant

I just happened to find a new Joemeek C2 in a music store the other day. I’m soo happy!

It feels heavy. Are there any input or output transformers in it?

The serial is 101925 and the date on the test badge says 12.4.99

Best regards

Fredrik Berg, Sweden

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

What a great find!

I never understood why the C2 was not a huge success, I can only think that is because it is too small!! The circuitry was absolutely the best at the time, it was an early implementation of M/S compression (sum and difference) where the stereo image remains absolutely stable under heavy compression.

No, there are no transformers, just some very clever input and output circuitry (although I say it myself).

I would put the C2 up against any compressor in the world for good musical compression….. I have one myself and it’s really good! :)

fredrikberg
    Participant

Thanks Ted for the answer.

Is the compression on the C2 similar to VC1qcs.

I had one and also a Brick some years ago, but had to sell thoose. Now I miss them. My memory tells me that the Brick is more similar to the C2 and the Vc1qcs is less agressive. Could you explain the difference between them. Is it the transformer in the Brick that makes the lost difference to later models.

Best Regards

Fredrim Berg, Sweden

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Yes, the characteristics of compression are very similar to the VC1; it uses the same type of attack/release circuitry and the same optical cells. Different elements of ‘aggression’ are only very small variations in the settings of attack and release and the amount of ‘drive’ (input level).

As a matter of technical interest to anyone else looking at the forum, one of the main reasons why these old optical compressors of mine sound so good is that during compression the 2nd order distortion (even harmonics) rises slightly, which has the psychoacoustic effect of making the brain think that the sound is louder than it really is. This is completely different to all other types of compressor where distortions stay the same or on some units, the 3rd order (unmusical) distortions rise; and they sound horrible! That, in conjunction with the shape of the attack and release curves, makes the compressor sound smooth and warm, even under severe (unrealistic) compression. :D

It sounds as though I’m pretending to be a Hi Fi anorak when I say that there are many factors in the operation of the optical compressor that are difficult or impossible to measure, mainly because they are transient effects of non-linearity not seen by the best measurement techniques, and certainly not reproduced with digital plug-ins!! 🙄

fredrikberg
    Participant

Hi!

Thanks for the answer. The c2 is lovely on the drumbus!

Best Regards

Fredrik

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.