Alice Stancoil 1228

Home Forums Ask Ted Alice Stancoil 1228

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lineardiatonic
    Participant

Hi Ted, I consider myself lucky to own an Alice 1228 (1984) with direct outs on every channel. As you know it is a fantastically robust high quality compact mixer designed I believe for voice recording in radio and television. I would like to bring it back to it’s former glory and it shouldn’t be a hard job as it is in an excellent condition.

Do you have a schematic for this model?

The areas I need to address are:
    1. No output (only a ground buzz) from ‘b check gain’ – it seems someone has soldered a couple of resistors where once there were none.
    2. Cleaning pots and faders
    3. Replacing the small lamps in the PPM’s
    4. Replace a broken potentiometer on the monitor section.

Thank you for your time, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jake

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Hi Jake, yes, I have the circuit diagrams for the 1228; it’s a delightful simple mixer, it sounds good and there really hasn’t been very much better in the years since then.
    I will be sending the circuit diagrams by email direct to you.
    ‘B-check’ is just a simple switched function in the monitor section so that should be no problem.
    As for cleaning, use WD40 or one of the artificial greases…. don’t use switch cleaner or the pots might easily fall apart!
    I can’t help with the lamps; I would suggest altering it to take white LEDs.
    The monitor pots were always the ones that disintegrated on these mixers.
    All the best with the project…… it’s surprising how many of these old mixers are still around…… like me really. :P

MagnetoSound
    Participant

Hi Ted, a friend of mine has been fortunate enough to get hold of a 1228 and an 828 as well … what a great sound! I never really knew :-)

However, they could both do with some fixing up and it would be great to get hold of the schematics if possible. I don’t know if there were circuit revisions but these have black pushbutton caps and black P&G style fader caps. They both have direct outs …

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Regards,

Dan

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Hi Dan, Yes, they were excellent mixers…. the secret was the high overload margin, it made them sound really sweet.
    Email me direct and I will let you have all the circuits that I have …. it’s [email protected]. :D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.