Alice AD62 Series 2 – Resources?

Home Forums Technical discussion Alice AD62 Series 2 – Resources?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    boriscrispin
    Participant

Hi all,

I wanted to try my luck on this forum regarding the scarcity of information for the AD62 desks!

I wondered if any people out there have been successful in reviving this model as I am about to do the same and would love to get any combined knowledge I can!

As I understand it they are unbalanced(?) discrete transformer-less mixers, with one Aux send, and transistor based limiters on the outputs with variable release.

My intention is (partly because if it’s light weight!) to ‘mod’ mine (a Series 2 mixer…is there any info as to how this series differs?) into a useful little portable mixer. Hopefully adding some spare RFT transformers I have onto the mic-inputs with add XLR, and some direct outs for the channels. Then I have two output transformers which I’d like to add into the bus output!

I know that the power supply could be upgraded to a modern 24v switching supply so I imagine that will happen too!

I’ve included a link to some, not great photos I took of the insides/outside

Anyone out there!? Any advice!

All the best

Alex

https://preview.ibb.co/mphQFR/Ad62.jpg" />

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

That mixer looks to be in remarkably good condition! Has it been kept in a museum?? :)

You are right about the details; it’s a very simple mixer using all descrete components and because of that, it’s likely to sound nicely warm owing to the 2nd order distortion (It’s sad to call it ‘distortion’ because it’s actually an enhancement!)

I’m sorry that I don’t have any circuit details of the AD62, I designed it a very long time ago, but it should not be too difficult to trace the circuits.

It would be worthwhile to use a switch-mode power supply although you will have to add some smoothing. A 2,200uF cap with a series 1N4006 diode driving it should do the trick.

As for transformers, my advice would be to try them and see what works. 8-)

boriscrispin
    Participant

Thanks Ted, all and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes it’s in very good nick isn’t it, will be happy to get her up and running in my studio. I’ll keep you posted with regards to progress on this thread as it may be of interest, I hope you don’t mind seeing it take on a few ‘upgrades’!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.