Alice ACM and 12.28 combo!

Home Forums Ask Ted Alice ACM and 12.28 combo!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fizmo100
    Participant

Hi, following my earlier post, here’s the pic I promised.

Any info about the ACM would be greatly appreciated – I emailed you nearly three years ago about it, when I was contemplating buying it, and you said it looked like a custom build that you’d done for your brother. Well, needless to say I went for it, and along the way found out it had previously at some point been owned by BBC Radio Clyde as well, but other than those two points of reference I’ve not been able to find out anything else about its history. I’ve only recently got the space to install it, so I’m in the process of getting it up and running – Colin at Audio Maintenance kindly pointed me in the direction of a tech who has just completed a ground up rebuild of an Alice desk for the Kaiser Chiefs, so hopefully it’ll be in good hands if and when it needs any TLC.

Any further info anyone has about the desk would be ace!

Cheers,

Dan.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

This just shows how memory plays tricks….. I had placed that ACM desk as the one I built for my brother many years ago, as it has the switch/matrix routing system.
    That system worked extremely well, saving lots of time with complex routing.
    But that could easily have also been the one we built for Radio Clyde as a production mixer in 1974…. but it’s all very hazy.
    I’m asking my brother if he recognises it…. after all he’s the one who spent longest sitting in front of it!
    I don’t have anymore detail on it than that except that these were very high performance mixers, designed to meet the very stringent technical specifications laid down by both the BBC and the Independent Broadcasting Authority (whose ‘code of practice’ was the scourge of all us mixer manufacturers at the time! 😯 ).

Fizmo100
    Participant

Cheers Ted – as ever your input is much appreciated. Let me know what he says!

Regards,

Dan.

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

The answer was that it’s not his…. so it’s likely to be ex Radio Clyde.
    It’s certainly a mixer that was built to a high spec. and it’s well worth looking after.

Fizmo100
    Participant

Great – thanks for that! That fits with what I was told when I bought it. And it will certainly get pampered – only the best for Big Alice! :0)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.