Alice 828

Home Forums Ask Ted Alice 828

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Swifteebgood
    Participant

Hi Ted,

I’m buying an 828 i found on ebay. I live in Australia and the desk is in Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom. The desk has a few minor issues and I’m wondering if you have the time and you’d be at all interested in servicing the desk and getting it back up to a good working order before i ship it out to Australia? Really looking forward to incorporating this into my recording setup. I’ve had enough of computers and the plan is to switch back to a 4 track 1/2 inch machine and use this desk as the front end. I’ve heard they sound great.

Many thanks.

Nigel

The details online were listed as :

alice 8 channel mixing desk designed by ted fletcher

8 ins 8 outs and stereo out with compression

sounds great , a few knobs could do with a spray as the y crackle a little when turned but just due to lack of use

channels sound very good

also some knobs have the tops missing see pics

all in all a very good and usable vintage mixing desk

channel 2 does not work as there seems to be a problem with the input volume pot which is broken

also channel 8 has a simular problem as it only passes sound with the input pot up full , but i think simply adding 2 new input control pots will sort this

has a standard power jack socket fitted with power lead included.

http://imgur.com/a/9Zscf" />

http://imgur.com/a/9Zscf” class=”bbcode_url”>http://imgur.com/a/9Zscf

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I can do this, but certainly can’t make any guarantees on the outcome. Certainly the faults the vendor quotes mean that the mixer has been dropped; the input gain pot faults indicate that the pots have sheered off…. actually, I do have replacements(!)

I will have to quote for the work once I have the mixer here. :?

Swifteebgood
    Participant

Hi Ted,

No worries, it’s now on it’s way to me in Aus. So i’ll check it out and may give you a holler for some spare parts.

Many thanks.

Nigel

Swifteebgood
    Participant

Hi Ted,

I’ve gotten hold of the desk which is great. The second channel doesn’t work, the gain pot makes a strange mechanical click when turned all one way. The 7th an eighth channels only work when the gain pot is turned to 98% so it looks like i need some new gain pots. 3 in fact. Other than that it’s working and sounding great! The other thing missing is the little coloured pieces out of the top of some of the knobs. Do you have any of those or know where i can get my hands on some?

cheers

Nigel

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

OK, I can let you have the pots you need…. the price is UK£3.45 each including a suitable control knob and I have enough stock to send you up to 8.

The type is slightly different… actually a superior pot type with same mounting dimensions but a slightly smaller mounting boss, but These work OK in an 828, and I will provide the correct mounting nuts. Cost of post is about UK£25 for 8 pots etc.. You can pay by paypal.

Please email me your shipping address and I will respond with more detail. :)

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

The request for those little coloured inserts on the control knobs is a common query for the 828…. Unfortunately I don’t have an answer. I have no stock and I don’t believe they are made any more.

I do have a replacement type black knob that fits OK. :(

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.