Alice 828

Home Forums Ask Ted Alice 828

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    roog
    Participant

Dear Ted, i have become the proud owner of an Alice 828. What a beautiful little desk.
    In its design it is almost the most perfect little console for our era, had you thought of
    releasing a new version? with the addition of 8 stereo passive summing inputs as well this would
    surely rule the little console roost!
    I have heard rumour you are still willing to work on these desks. 2 channels on mine are faulty.
    One cut out via the gain knob( or should i say cuts in at 10!) and when you assign the eq on
    channel 5 the whole channel disappears. I would love it re-capped and the stereo output limiters
    checked out and just a general overhaul to bring it back up to the perfect little desk it is.
    Thanks for your time and i hope you are interested on working on her,
    RooG

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Hmmm…. Thanks for the accolade!! Yes, the little 828 was a neat design, it was, after all, the first serious professional portable mixer. We made a few hundred of them and it’s amazing how many of them are still around…… I had an extraordinary email from a chap in Australia who found one by the side of the road! I don’t know if he got it back to full working order, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
    As for servicing them, I have to admit that I don’t relish it; the problem is that those pots and faders are not easily available any more, and the whole construction is, let’s face it. old. They last well because they are built from 1.2mm steel!
    OK, I will have a look at it…. I have had 3 others through the workshop this year.
    Send it to ‘The Sound House’ and we’ll see what can be done. :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.