The Original 828 Mk1

News
9 Comments

The original Alice 828 was designed in 1977 by Byron Davis, Steve Dove, Eric Keene and myself.

It was study in what was needed for rugged remote recording and, by the accolades and sales, we must have got it right.

At Alice in Windsor we made the 828 from 1978 up to 1984 and sold several hundreds to governments, TV companies, studios and even the military!

The big points were:

• Seriously rugged construction (no plastics!)
  • Best quality performance with transfer inputs.
  • Incredibly versatile but simple and easy to use.
  • Superior quality high level outputs.
  • High quality meters.
  • Sensible price.
  • First and best in the field.

What we did not know at the time was how many of the boxes we ticked for excellent sound quality; the mixers had to be adaptable for use on location with TV companies (remember ‘The Professionals’ and ‘The Bill’) as well as the stories of 828s being run over by trucks and still working!

Now, they have achieved an almost legendary status with high prices for old neglected units on eBay!

Using an original Mk1 828 as a mixdown path is a revelation of warmth, quality and depth; I realised this several years ago and now I am being swamped by engineers and producers wanting ne to ‘fix’ their old 828s or asking me in I know of any.

So, the big question is, is there a ‘re-issue’ of the 828 Mk1?

It would have to be just the same as the original with ‘class A’ circuitry, and perhaps with stereo channels (the 828s from 1980).

The originals are now 40 years old and sound better than ever. They do say, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!’

If you would like to join a list to try out a re-issued 828 Mk1 with absolutely no obligation, drop me a note to [email protected]. I’m working on a sensible price; and still ‘made in the UK’!

9 Comments. Leave new

• I consider myself one of the lucky ones having an 828mk2 recently fully serviced by Ted and in fact upgraded phantom power and LED lights to the VU meters.
    Thank you Ted for such an excellent job – love my 828 so much – a sonic game changer in my studio.
    Regards, Woody. Somerset,UK)

• Judging by what’s been said about these units, I would definitely invest in a re-issue if the price is right. Hoping there’s progess on this considering the current pandemic situation.

• Sorry, the answer is no.
    But there are new ones coming!

• Sorry about the log-in problems….. should be OK now.
    Yes, I’m still here and still working on new gear as well as fixing older stuff….. there’s so much of it still in use!
    I anticipate having a document giving approximate price and delivery on a new 828 (based on the 828 Mk1) in just a few days now.
    I will be contacting everyone who has been writing to me about it!

• Bret Hitchcock
    May 29, 2020 1:06 am

I would love to hear more about a re-issued 828 Mk1. Please let me know when there is an update.

• In the midst of the ‘lock-down’, I am working on the PC layouts for the 828 Mk1 revision.
    I hope to have a price projection in a few days now.
    Ted

• Jason Elon Goodman
    May 24, 2020 7:20 pm

Brilliant Ted ! All the best to you and your projects !!

• Hi Ted,

I’ve heard you mention the possibility of an 828 reissue over the years, would be remarkable if you made this a reality as there still isn’t a modern replacement or alternative for the 828, and I think many among us who wish for such a quality desk in this kind of form factor.

I recently acquired an 828 Mk2, and so now count myself among the braying mob hoping to get in touch about a service!

Alas I’ve had trouble logging into the forums, and have yet to hear back from you via email, so wondered whether my messages got lost on their way to you or entered your junk folder etc. If you see this, I’d be very grateful to hear from you via the email address below:

[email protected]

Thanks for your help and your great work past and present.

Best wishes,

Hal.

• Is it for sale ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.