VC1:Noise when turned off, how to open case?

Home Forums Ask Ted VC1:Noise when turned off, how to open case?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aregularjoe
    Participant

Hi Ted,

Fist off, thanks for the amazing gear. Love the old school JoeMeek stuff. Second, Thanks for making yourself accessable via this forum!

I just bought a VC1 (v2.01), the first of a few planned vintage JM purchases. 2 Questions:

1) When I shut it down, there is an audible hum and a secondary clicky or oscillating sound coming out of the balanced outputs. It fades out like maybe a capacitor is discharging. Is this normal? Is it a sign of caps going bad?

2) I took out the six screws that hold the back to the front panel, but it did not easily come off. I need to replace al the XLR jacks ( they are loose and/or broken and need repair). I did not want to force the back off of the unit. Any tips on getting it open safely?

Thank you for any input you can offer.

All the best,

Chris

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

The VC1 lid has the three self-tap screws on each end but in addition, I seem to remember that the XLR connectors are a ‘Switchcraft’ type that have a locking catch that is accessible through the central hole in the socket. These things are very fiddly and you do need a very good slender flat-blade screwdriver to get to them. To undo the catches the little ‘key’ has to be rotated anti-clock only about 1/8th of a turn. Once released, the top cover slides off…. sometimes it takes some effort!

On all later models I used a much simpler ‘Cliff’ type XLR connector that was secured with self-tap screws the same as the ends.

On the funny noise….. I don’t think it’s significant as long as it works OK with the power on. It could indicate that there is a ground loop in your system , but if it’s working OK don’t worry! No, avoid replacing caps unless it’s really necessary. It’s usually a waste of time and effort. ;)

aregularjoe
    Participant

Thanks Ted,

As it turns out, on my unit, a VC-1 v2.01, the nuts and washers for the rear 1/4″ jacks need to come off as well…

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

Ha! I should have mentioned that!

On all the later models we did not fit the nuts and washers on the jack sockets :(

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.