older VC6Q question

1. Home
  2. Forums
  3. Ask Ted
  4. older VC6Q question

Home Forums Ask Ted older VC6Q question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
      I have a late 90s Meek VC6Q that gets used every day. Recently it developed an intermittent problem-
      When using the D.I. or a mic, I’m getting a sound like ffft ffft ffft that sometimes gets louder and louder until I have to turn the volume down quickly. Also, the volume of the input swings wildly from too quiet for the amount of gain applied to waaaay too loud. Every once in a while the VC6Q works, but it seems to me there is quite a bit more general background “hiss” than there used to be.

I know I can probably send it to PMI for a repair, but I’m nervous imagining they could do something that might change the sound. I really love this preamp so I’m a little worried. Can you tell me what could possibly be wrong with it, and what would you do to go about getting it repaired?

Thank you for your time.

Ted FletcherTed Fletcher
      Keymaster

Hmmm…. this sounds very much like a leaky input capacitor. It’s a known problem on gear of that age.
        The early ones used conventional 100uF capacitors, later we used ‘low leakage’ types that were much better.
        If you can get it repaired locally, I recommend low leakage 100uF 63V working capacitors. They are easy to see on the board…. they are close to the input. :)
        If you need me to look at it, I will service all old JM gear for a fixed fee of £25 plus the cost of return postage.

Participant

Ted, Thank you so much for your reply!
          I will definitely want to send it to you to be fixed. Please let me now how to get that process started- should I box it up with a note and send it to the address listed here at TFPro in Torquay? (The package will be coming from California, USA.)
          Thank you for your help!
          Sincerely,
          Meg Hentges

Ted FletcherTed Fletcher
          Keymaster

Yes, just send it to the Sound House for my attention…. and be sure to mark the packing clearly that it is for repair and I suggest putting a value of just say $20 for customs otherwise we can be liable for VAT or import duties. :(

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Menu