old Alice 828 and 828S

Home Forums Technical discussion old Alice 828 and 828S

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

I see that they are getting popular again!! (a ‘non-working’ one sold on ebay yesterday for £265)

The only comments I will make are…. the Mk2 is more reliable than the Mk1; all the 828S versions are Mk2.

And yes, they were ahead of their time and they do sound good.

But if you are thinking of buying one, don’t forget that I introduced them in 1979….. that was 35 years ago! :(

cleverdick
    Participant

Good Morning Sir!

You will be pleased to know that there are two 828S consoles still in daily use at a certain hospital radio station in Essex – and for my sins I’ve agreed to give them their third major overhaul. Predictably, they now bear little resemblance to the original design – with extra channels crammed in, a bolt-on outside-source submixer, mods to the monitoring and so on. (The submixer is my design, but there was a lot of undocumented legacy work that I inherited.)

Measured performance and reliability are still good by any standard; replacement with a digital desk is not an option!

I am therefore hoping you can help me. First of all, I would love to obtain my own definitive set of schematics; there is a tattered station copy that is somewhat incomplete (it’s the original pot values that I’d be most interested in). And secondly, those Alps slide pots with 20 x 8mm levers are long obsolete. (Bourns do a variety of short-lever types). Do you have any idea who might have some old-stock units still available?

Happy to discuss at length off-line if you prefer, and of course pay the cost of providing documentation – if this is possible.

By the way I’m currently sitting in front of my ex-Devon Air ABCM console, with programme going through it ;)

Kind regards,

Rich

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.