Converting Alice 2008 direct outs to inserts?

1. Home
  2. Forums
  3. Ask Ted
  4. Converting Alice 2008 direct outs to inserts?

Home Forums Ask Ted Converting Alice 2008 direct outs to inserts?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Ted!

I was wondering if it would be relatively simple to re-purpose the direct output sockets on my Alice 2008 (slightly posher version of the 828, with longer throw faders etc), turning them into TRS insert sockets? So instead of just taking a signal from each channel, they’d return it too.

I’ve done modifications to my Alice mixers with your help in the past, so I thought maybe this isn’t out of the realms of possibility. :)

The direct outputs are post-EQ, pre-fader from what I can tell. Although ideally I’d prefer to have inserts that are pre-EQ, I’m still happy to go with post-EQ if it means I can cobble my way through doing it myself, haha!

I’d still be able to use the inserts as direct outputs anyway, so I’d not really be losing anything. In theory..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Ted FletcherTed Fletcher
      Keymaster

Hi Jason, Hey, the 2008 is a lot more than just a ‘posher version of the 828’!!The faders on it alone cost a fortune at the time!

I do have one of my own here; one of the batch we made as general studio/production mixers for the BBC.

If your ‘channel out’ sockets are tip/ring/sleeve types then it would be relatively easy to access a point immediately after the mic amp and before the EQ section.

The bad news is that I don’t have circuit details of the 2008, but if you have a look at where the last IC in the input stage goes to the EQ in/out switch, then you could break the circuit here coming out via say 200 ohm resistor to the jack socket ring, and directly back from the tip to the EQ switch.

I suggest checking the DC voltage from the output of the mic amp to chassis ground as on some models we used a single-rail system which means that the audio stands at about 12V above chassis ground in which case you would need series capacitors of say 47uF on the mic amp output and at least 4.7uF on the EQ input.

I hasten to add that all that was from memory…. but I will have a look over the next few days and if I was wildly out I will be in touch. :?

Participant

My 2008 had two sets of holes on the main circuit board of each channel, one set for direct outs, and the other set for inserts. It’s certainly worth opening it up and having a look, I think the direct out had two holes, and the insert three, which makes sense to me at least. It’s clear which one is in use, follow the wire from the TRS socket. I had two channels converted to insert (so I could use an MS matrix) by an engineer who was also adding 12V T mic powering to each channel for use on film locations, so I wasn’t wielding the soldering iron on this occasion. I do remember it didn’t take long – but that’s probably because I wasn’t doing the soldering.

Colin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Menu