ABOUT TFPRO P2

Home Forums Ask Ted ABOUT TFPRO P2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    neuroloop
    Participant

Hi Ted here is neuroloop from Rome…..
    now I’m going to buy a P2…..used in good conditions
    I’ve some questions about TFPRO/JOEMEEK gear so….
    1_the opto element of compressor section could suffer of use and time (something like changing valve into tube gear)????
    2_there are difference in the electronic architecture between SC2 and P2 ?(regarding the comp section obviously)….
    Thanks very much…..

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

That’s an interesting question and I’m not absolutely sure of the answer….. Testing some of the very early Joe Meek units recently, I have not noticed any change in performance of the cells… they certainly don’t wear out like tubes (valves). I think it’s likely that the life span is very long.
    Regarding the technology; I used a later and faster type of opto cell in the TFPRO gear, it gives a greater range to the attack and release, but the performance of the P2 is very similar to the earlier VCTwin. The P2 was a sort of ‘crossover’ product’, there were changes to the circuitry but the performance was similar. Now we have the P10 which is completely different with its increased facilities and very sophisticated compressors.

neuroloop
    Participant

thanks for fast reply…..the P2 is a really interesting gear……the only one and important thing that there isn’t a way to go straight into the comp section bypassing the preamp….mmmmm…….unbalanced with the tip of insert point????? cheers neuroloop

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

On the P2 there is no advantage to by-passing the input stage, that circuit is a very good balanced input, very low noise and distortion, and totally transparent.
    If the P2 has an insert point (I’m in the USA at the moment so I don’t have the circuits with me!) then you are quite right, the tip is a way into a buffer amplifier just in front of the compressor; yes you can use a simple unbalanced jack to input at that point.

neuroloop
    Participant

Hi Ted…..
    The only reason to enter in the comp rather then pre+comp is that I processing a drum groove just programmed and equalized on my roland groovebox (with a d.i. box to balance the output) and it need only a buss compression….so I’m undecided on the purchase of the P2……probably only a stereo compressor…..OPTICAL or FET????

cheers neuroloop

Ted Fletcher
    Keymaster

(this one was unresolved….. I don’t know how to answer! The P38 is the ultimate opto compressor, anyone recording drums needs to try it.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.