Home Forums Technical discussion OPTICAL COMPRESSORS – A HISTORY Reply To: OPTICAL COMPRESSORS – A HISTORY

Ted Fletcher
Keymaster

And now it’s April 2016!!

Nothing stands still, and I have been working on a new/old compressor…. well, not quite; it’s a ‘voice channel’, that is, a mic amp, a compressor and a harmonic enhancer all in one unit. It’s about the size, shape and weight(!) of a house-brick but departing from any tradition of mine, it is coloured a very pale creamy white.

Technically, it’s the best of what has gone before; it’s a transformer mic/line input into a class-A mic amp and then into a very TF traditional optical compressor.

A harmonic generator can add or subtract from the audio, so it’s both an enhancer and an unusual type of de-esser, but one that does not mess up the frequency response!

It will be on the market at the beginning of June, or maybe before as I have the first production prototype in front of me as I write this.

It has been difficult to keep up with the design demands of my ‘other business’, the business of good quality loudspeakers to improve domestic TV, and to make things slightly easier and more logical, we are amalgamating the businesses…. TFPRO will become a professional arm of Orbitsound. So the new mic amp/compressor will be called the Orbitsound TDC…… that is ‘Ted’s Definitive Channel’ (oh no!)

It will be advertised very soon! 😯