Home Forums Technical discussion OPTICAL COMPRESSORS – A HISTORY Reply To: OPTICAL COMPRESSORS – A HISTORY

Ted FletcherTed Fletcher
Keymaster

AN UPDATE….. AND SOME EXTRA INFO.
    Since writing that last piece I decided to look again at the ‘easy to use’ aspects of compressors based on experience with the very successful P38EX. I found that I never used those additional functions in the ‘EX, the partial compression and the sidechain access…. Partial compression is already there in optical compressors, it’s just how you use the ratio control! So I played around with a simpler design with some very old fashioned optical cells and came up with the P38V7. This is a P38 but with a heavier sound style and also a good clunky relay operated hard-wire by-pass. Maybe I’m getting old but I love it!
    The P38V7 became available in May 2011.

The extra info is that looking back through the archives I found that the old JoeMeek SC2.2 did actually have a hard-wire by-pass…. a simple switch type that worked well. I dropped that function on later types.

Now, in July 2011, we are stocking the P38V7…. which is finding great favour in European studios, but also building a few P38EX for the ‘experimenters’ who want to play with effects in the compression sidechain.

Menu